Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

We Tried It: Productivity Apps

My fiancé, Brad, is starting out as a real estate agent and he has to keep track of a lot of appointments as well as other tasks. He recently bought a smart phone to make his job easier, and has tested out several Productivity Apps to keep him on track and on time. I have tried out a couple of them myself, because organizational skills don't really come naturally to me and I can use all the help I can get.

Pros: Free. Simple to use. Works best in conjunction with Google Calendar (which sends reminders and has time scheduling abilities). Compatible with various phone syncing programs. Allows users to share/assign tasks.
Cons: Maybe too simple. Only actions available are to enter tasks, due date, and very brief description. Cannot schedule times. No reminders.

Pros: Syncs with Astrid -a popular to do list app for Android. Free if you have fewer than three people using it, as it is geared toward small businesses or teams. You can share/assign tasks as well as have private tasks. Has it's own calendar view. You can set up e-mail and phone reminders. Syncs well with Google Calendar.
Cons: Doesn't handle natural language well. Cluttered interface (in Brad's opinion). Organization and prioritizing process is too complex. There is a fee for having three or more users on a "work space". No editing for notes. Notes are like a facebook comment, once it's there, you can just deal with it, or delete it and start over.

Pros: Free on your computer. Simple to use. Handles natural language well. Extra features are really good, but require a paid account. You can set it up as a Google Gadget for free. Easy to edit tasks.
Cons: No calendar view. "Awkward and irritating integration with Google Calendar"-Brad. What he means is, instead of just putting the time and task in the square of the calendar date, you just have a blank calendar with a check mark button on all days of the month. You have to click the button to see your task. Otherwise they all look the same and it's not much of a reminder. Fee to sync with mobile devices.

Microsoft Outlook 2007*
Pros: The original. Integrates e-mail, contacts, tasks, and calendar. A lot people are already familiar with it. Has a lot of useful features. Allows users to share/assign tasks.
Cons: You have to buy the program, and it's expensive. Has a lot of useless features (like a journal). Doesn't sync to anything. Old fashioned (not in a nostalgic way). Not cloud based (meaning information is not saved on the internet, but downloaded to your hard drive) so you can only use it on the computer with the program. You can't access it from any other computer.

* We did some looking around, and we don't think much has changed since then.

This is a little different than the rest and is being reviewed as such. It is pronounced like "to do list" without the "l". It's project oriented. To use it you make an over arching project and then you have sub tasks for each step in your project completing journey. Brad doesn't really do projects so we can't give a full review sine we had no need to use the program as it was intended. For someone with multiple, ongoing projects this might be good.

In the end Brad has settled on Google Tasks in conjunction with Google Calendar, and he likes it very much. I'm using Remember the Milk, because I really like the check list aspect. I don't really need the reminders for time and I actually get things done earlier than the times I set for myself! I just find the act of checking off a list very satisfying and it motivates me to do more things each day so I can add to my list of completed tasks. I am thinking about switching to Outlook since I already use it for my e-mail, but I think the name Remember the Milk is so charming (yes, it I'm really that easy to entertain) and so I keep going back to it.

I hope this is helpful for those of you who need a little help either keeping up with the time, remembering all there is to do, or who (like me) just need the confidence boost of seeing all that you have achieved each day.

Any recommendations for apps we missed, or further reviews of Todoist would be most appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment